A. Best Laser Hair Removal For Dark Skin At Home
You are trying to find the best IPL or laser hair removal for ever and adapt to your dark skin tone. We spent more than 60 hours researching and testing various IPLs and lasers on the market, summarizing the main tips and how they work and use at home. Laser hair removal is best for people with fair skin and dark hair. However, different types of laser devices can be used for all skin types.
1. How does laser hair removal work?
Laser hair removal is a procedure that uses the energy emitted by laser beams to remove unwanted hair from the skin’s surface. The process works because the hair’s melanin pigment absorbs the light energy emitted by the laser. The device converts the modified energy into heat, which damages the hair root, the so-called hair follicle. This damage slows down hair growth or, in some cases, even prevents it.
- Usually, laser hair removal is not enough for permanent hair removal. The doctor may repeat the process several times until satisfactory hair removal is obtained. After that, you will usually need laser maintenance sessions to get the results over a long period of time.
- Laser hair removal is best for people with fair skin and dark hair. However, different types of laser devices can be used for all skin types.
- Hair and skin colors can affect the efficiency of the hair removal process. The laser uses light from the hair, not the skin, to direct the heat beam. If the hair and skin color are slightly different, the contrast will not be enough for the device to focus only on the hair. Therefore, a reasonable result will be obtained if the hair is dark and the skin is light.
- Nowadays, great advances have been made in laser technology to ensure the safety of all skin qualities, without side effects.
2. Is laser hair removal safe for dark skin?
Laser hair removal is generally safe for all skin types. When done correctly, it may be the best way to remove excess hair from the body. However, for dark people, some precautions are necessary to make the use of the laser as safe as possible:
- The technology used by your laser device must be up to date. Preferably, the laser used should be of the Nd: Yag type. This laser has deeper skin penetration rates and weaker absorption of melanin pigments. For these reasons, the yag laser is a safer option for darker skin tones. The other type, which is a diode laser, can also be useful in some situations. It can be used on dark skin, but it should be administered at a slower heart rate to give the skin more time to lose heat.
- Choose a device with a well-known brand history and laser hair removal experience. We recommend some fantastic laser hair removal devices for dark skin at home.
- Devices with Nd: Yag lasers generally require more sessions than normal IPL devices.
3. Why are not most household appliances safe for dark skin?
Most old IPL hair removal devices are not safe or suitable for use on dark skin for the following reasons. The energy acts to remove the hair; As we explained earlier, the absorption of the wavelengths of light by the melanin pigment gives hair and skin color. This energy is converted into thermal energy and damages the hair follicle.
However, in darker skins, there is also a lot of melanin in the skin. This high melanin content causes the laser on IPL machines to affect the skin’s melanin, causing it to become hot and even burn. This melanin content dilemma makes laser hair removal better for lighter skin tones.
According to Fitzpatrick’s skin card, he classified skin tones from one to six. Grade one represents the lightest skin tone and grade six is the darkest skin tone. All IPL devices can be used safely in the first four classes. For grades five and six with darker skin tones, you can only use a few newer home IPL devices.
4. How can some household devices be safe for dark skin?
Safe devices for dark skin often combine advanced technologies such as wavelength filters, energy-saving IPL settings as low as 3 J / cm2, and unique settings for IPL flashes. This combination of new technologies makes the device smoother and less risky for darker skin tones. The laser goes beyond the dark areas of the skin and penetrates deeply into the nucleus of the hair follicle. The flash also prevents pain and burns. Some devices also adjust the intensity of the IPL to match your skin tone before each flash. Even after these precautionary measures and technologies, IPL devices remain unsuitable for all skin tones. New manufacturers are using combined technologies that mix IPL energy with other types of lasers. These new devices include The Infinity by Silk’n, which uses a smooth IPL wavelength combined with a galvanic current.
Galvanic current is a specific type of electrical current that does not cause pain and cannot be felt by the human body. When your finger touches the base electrode and your skin touches the silver electrodes, an electrical circuit is created. This current makes the pores of the skin more open. Now, IPL can affect the hair shaft more, as it absorbs more energy due to the more exposed part of the hair shaft. The net result is that The Infinity by Silk’n is more effective and safer on darker skin tones. A good tip for an additional benefit of the device is to apply a moisturizer after applying it, as your skin becomes more absorbent thanks to the enlarged pores.
5. Laser hair removal costs
Laser hair removal sessions are generally expensive. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons estimates the average cost of hair removal sessions at $ 285 per session. This price can vary significantly based on several factors. Factors that will affect the price include the area of the body being treated, the types of hair and skin and the number of sessions required to complete the required mission.
There is a wide range of prices for IPL devices, ranging from $ 700 to $ 1200. There is a greater economic benefit here for IPL devices. With the cost of just three laser sessions, you can get a decent IPL device to use at home and avoid endless trips to the salon.
6. How do you prepare your skin for laser hair treatment?
It is recommended that you stay hydrated and avoid using makeup or skin products before using the device. It is recommended to shave your hair immediately before your sessions to get the best results. For women, shaving your face can be stressful. Therefore, we recommend the use of dermaplaning, as it removes facial hair without irritation. Other methods of hair removal are also possible, such as: B. waxing or waxing. However, results may vary.
7. How do I take care of my dark skin after sessions?
- Do not expose the treated area to the sun or tan for at least two weeks after the session. This is important to avoid darkening the treated areas.
- Avoid going to a spa, sauna or heat treatment for at least seven days.
- Avoid shaving the affected areas for three days after the session.
- Avoid products containing chlorine that touch the affected areas, such as swimming pools.
- Avoid using hot water in bathtubs and showers for at least 48 hours.
- Do not apply makeup to the affected areas for 48 hours.
- Avoid excessive trauma to the tissue, such as B. Rub or apply pressure to the tissue. This is important so that the skin can heal after the session and prevent infections.
- Avoid bleaching creams or perfumed products for 48 hours.
- If you experience pain or discomfort, you can apply an ice pack to the treated area.
- Wear very loose clothing and avoid excessive friction for 48 hours.
- Use at least SPF 50 sunscreen, drink plenty of water and eat more zinc-rich foods.
- Apply aloe vera gel to the treated area to obtain extra moisture and moisture.
- Make sure that the treated area is clean and dry for at least 48 hours.
- If blistering occurs, avoid scratching the area to avoid future scarring. In that case, it is best to consult a dermatologist.
8. How to stay safe?
- Before purchasing or using any device, you must carefully read the instruction manual.
- Be sure to acknowledge the important usage notice for the device. This includes diabetes, pregnancy, breastfeeding, epilepsy, some medications that make the skin more sensitive to light and chemical peels.
- Use the device only in the safe areas of your body. For women, this includes the area of the cheekbones down.
- For men, it applies only from neck to neck.
- Never use a laser device on the anus, nipples, genitals, spots, birthmarks or large freckles.
- Protect your skin from exposure to the sun before and after sessions. The sun can make your skin more sensitive and increase side effects, such as burns or inflammation.
9. The 3 best laser hair removal devices for dark skin at home
a. Silk’n infinity
SILK’N INFINITY is generally the best recommendation for IPL devices for dark skin tones. Clinical data show the effectiveness on dark skin. This device also works faster than others and offers promising results. SILK’N INFINITY also remains one of the cheapest options if you are looking for the best option for laser hair removal for dark skin at home.
- The cheapest IPL device in the UK.
- The safest device for dark skin tones.
- Clinically proven efficacy on all skin tones.
- 180 cm long and flexible power cable.
- It comes with a skin tone sensor to adjust the energy appropriate to your body’s skin tone.
- Flashes must run for more than 15 years when used monthly.
- Short sessions and a comfortable user experience.
- In the USA and Canada, the device comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
The device is not approved by the FDA for use on the darkest type VI skin in the USA.
With darker skin and less intense programs, the results are generally slower.
There is no money-back guarantee when shopping in the UK.
b. Accurate touch of lighting
Iluminage precise touch is highly recommended due to its proven efficiency and versatility. This device is suitable for all types of dark skin. It is also released by the FDA for darker shades, including V, VI. This device can be used consistently for decades and is also suitable for small areas and surfaces. The device has a small flash window perfect for isolated areas like lips, chin and chin. It is also great for the bikini area and forearms.
However, this small window is not suitable for large areas of the body, such as legs and thighs, as it would take forever to perform the laser on the entire limb. This device can also be used on light hair. You should pull your hair out immediately before zapping. It works by targeting the remaining microdots in the hair follicle.
- Works efficiently and FDA approved for all skin tones.
- Easy to use and with good build quality.
- Small window, suitable for small areas of the body, such as lips and chin.
- Works for more than 10 years of monthly use.
- You can use various methods of hair removal, such as waxing, waxing or waxing before the session.
- Works on gray hair and is suitable for the elderly.
- There is no guarantee that money will be returned to the device in any area.
- It is not suitable for larger sizes, such as legs and thighs.
c. Touch lighting
This device is a highly recommended choice for dark skin tones in large and small areas of the body. It is an efficient home IPL device with proven efficiency and importance. The device is FDA approved for darker skin tones, including classes V and VI. Although the design of the device is somewhat outdated, it is very efficient and convenient to use. The applicator cable is of excellent quality and durability. The device has a medium flash window that fits most areas of the body, and you can use the precision cap for smaller sizes, such as the upper lip.
The device comes with two models, the largest with 300,000 flashes and the smallest with 120,000 flashes. The smaller model must be able to be used for an average of two years. The larger model can last up to 5 years. These two models are not as powerful as the last two, but they are good enough for your use. However, there is no money-back guarantee, but replacement flash cartridges.
- It is not irritating to dark skin.
- Clinically proven efficiency and FDA approval for all skin tones, including V, VI.
- The device is also suitable for large and small areas.
- Convenient and easy to use.
- Full two-year warranty.
- More expensive than other options in the UK.
- It takes when used on larger areas of the body than the legs.
- No money back guarantee.
d. Philips Lumea Prestige
This device is a jewel in the IPL device market. It offers one of the best bargains you can get today. IPL technology to slow down and reduce hair growth after each session. It can also be used safely on the face and body. After a while, your hair will stop growing. Regular use can keep you hairless for a long time.
- Comfortable and ergonomic weapon shape.
- They can be easily applied to the lower limbs.
- The curved windows are easy to apply to the skin.
- Clinically proven results and safety.
- The device can be used wired or wireless.
- 100-day money-back guarantee so you can return it if you don’t like it.
- The device is large and bulky.
- It is not the cheapest option on the market.
- The device has not yet been approved by the FDA in the USA.
In summary, IPL technology has had many developments recently. The new devices are able to work effectively on dark skins with all their qualities. If you think you are going to take advantage of an IPL machine, invest in your body. Please read our reviews carefully and use our website to determine the best machine for your needs. IPL technology is a blessing and can make your life much easier than before. Follow precautions and use the device regularly to obtain the best results. You deserve to enjoy a hairless body for as long as possible.